1. Plan accordingly: Once you have the dates set for the fast, you can plan how your eating and rest habits will be for the duration of your fast.
- Plan to see your doctor and share with him/her your plan to be fasting for 21 days. Follow your doctor's instructions.
- Plan to spend time in prayer. Fasting without dedicating time for prayer and Bible study is only dieting. Plan in advance the times you will set apart to pray and seek God.
- Plan in advance your grocery shopping: Don't leave your pantry or refrigerator with foods that are going to be hard to avoid. Try to consume them in a healthy way before the fast starts. Find out in advance about recipes for meals you can have during your fast and enjoy the trip to the grocery store.
- Plan to avoid gatherings where breaking the fast may be tempting. Do you have a baby Luau, or a Birthday party, or a wedding ceremony coming up? That's going to be hard. If you cannot avoid those gatherings, then plan in advance how you will handle it. Take your food in a container, or be ready to explain why you are eating the way yo do.
- Plan to exercise wisely. Some people may not be able to exercise the same way while fasting. Good to focus in low impact exercises rather than in high impact exercises. Don't run a marathon while you are fasting!
3. Start drinking lots and lots of water before the fast and during the fast.
4. Prepare Spiritually. Have a clear idea why you are fasting for. Read about fasting, be encouraged with testimonies from those whom have been doing this before, and start the fast in high spirits. Don't let the enemy steal your joy. Don't worry! You will eat your favorite foods again.